Floral Friday ~ Iris
The iris has been a predominant staple in colorful spring arrangements for years. It is also February’s birth flower.
This beautiful bloom traces back to Greek mythology. The Greek goddess named Iris delivered messages for the gods and from the underworld. She would travel along rainbows as she moved between heaven and earth.
- The Iris symbolizes eloquence.
- Purple – wisdom and compliments, Blue – faith and hope, Yellow – passion, White – purity.
- This lovely flower is also the inspiration for the world-renowned symbol of the fleur-de-lis
- Bearded iris (Iris germanica) is the state flower of Tennessee
- A favored flower in great art including van Gogh, whose famous painting “Irises” set an all-time auction price in recent years, selling for over 53 million dollars.
Cut iris is available in dark blue, light blue, purple, white and yellow.